Opioids are synthetic drugs produced originally in the medical labs of pharmaceutical companies. Opioids have chemical profiles like opiates and narcotics derived from poppies like opium, morphine, and heroin. The term opioid is an umbrella term that includes all opioids and opiates. Originally intended only for medical use, opioids soon leaked out of the mainstream and into the street market for recreational consumption. The opioid epidemic started during the period when drugs like Oxycodone were being marketed as safe and non-addictive when in fact, they were extremely addictive. Challenging as an opioid use disorder (OUD) can be, effective treatments are available for those ready to begin recovery.
At Pennsylvania Adult and Teen Challenge (PAATC), we bring our 60 years of experience to our treatment of both prescription and street-grade opioid addictions. Find out how we can help you get out from under the burden of your addiction and live a healthy, drug-free life. Our staff is standing by to answer all your questions about the signs of opioid addiction. Just use this online form or dial us at 844.442.8673.
What Are the Signs of Opioid Addiction?
Though everyone is different and not all systems, react to substances in the same way, addiction to drugs like fentanyl or OxyContin manifests in specific ways for most people. Some signs of opioid addiction include:
- The quick onset of withdrawal symptoms when the drug is withheld or unavailable
- Extreme mental and physical cravings between doses
- Sudden and rapid weight loss
- Diminished energy, sex drive, attention span
- Insomnia or excessive sleep
- Chronic feelings of being under the weather with flu-like symptoms
- Job loss, homelessness, indigence, and other financial setbacks related to drug-seeking and use
You may feel you no longer recognize yourself or someone you care about because the all-consuming nature of an opioid addiction changes the very trajectory of lives and causes people to lose their way. However, this does not have to be the end of it. Help is out there. An opioid addiction treatment center can help you or your loved one get back on track.
How Can Opioid Addiction Treatment Help?
The knowledgeable support of people whose primary goal is to help you reach your goal of sobriety; there is great comfort in that. Once you reach out to begin the process, professional opioid addiction treatment can usher you safely onto the road of recovery.
In opioid rehab, you can expect the following:
- Medically supervised detox breaks your physical dependence and gets you through withdrawal safely and with minimal pain and discomfort.
- Round-the-clock care by a professional staff who will support you through the rough patches provides a safety net.
- Peer group sessions such as 12-step meetings provide support and accountability and have proven benefits.
- Individual therapy will address co-occurring mental health disorders and identify and process underlying issues that affect your addiction.
- Family therapy, as appropriate, helps you and the people closest to you understand your addiction, heal relationship rifts, and improve mutual empathy and communication.
- Group therapy in a structured setting, under the guidance of a therapist, uses the energy and support of a group working towards shared goals.
Reach Out to Pennsylvania Adult and Teen Challenge Today
Addiction is a chronic disease and, as such, not curable. However, professional treatment for opioid use disorders improves long-term recovery outcomes. At PAATC, our opioid treatment center offers compassionate support. Our program utilizes evidence-based therapies and a wide range of skills and tools to help you manage your addiction and move forward into a life of recovery. Find out what your options are and how PAATC can help today. Dial 844.442.8673 or complete our online form.