Addiction recovery has various different but equally meaningful stages. If you have a substance use disorder, you cannot enter the realm of rehab without starting the journey by making your way through detox first. If you search for a rehab program and an addiction detox center in Pennsylvania, consider Pennsylvania Teen and Adult Challenge (PAATC). We offer over 60 years of experience ushering people with substance use disorders, through their withdrawal from drugs or alcohol and onto the path of lasting recovery.
If you are curious about rehab vs. detox and how they differ and are linked, reach out to PAATC to learn about our rehab programs and medically managed detox center. Though inextricably connected, these two parts of addiction treatment serve different purposes, both vital, and each stage happens in a particular order. Call 844.442.8673 to speak to a professional addiction specialist or use our online form, and you’ll hear back from us promptly.
What Is Drug Detox?
Before engaging in evidence-based addiction therapies, you must be entirely drug and alcohol-free. We do not expect you to show up at rehab, having gone through withdrawal all on your own. At PAATC, we offer best practice professional detox with medical supervision by a team of doctors.
Withdrawal is very challenging and thus not advisable at home. Even if you choose outpatient rehab, an inpatient detox program is often best. In detox, you will:
- Receive medication to mitigate the worst of your withdrawal symptoms
- Be supported by both medical and therapeutic staff so that not only your physical distress but also your psychological cravings and discomfort can be addressed
- Receive 24/7 supervision to keep track of symptoms and catch any signs of an underlying medical condition or co-occurring mental health disorder
- Rid your body of all toxins related to your substance abuse so that you can enter rehab without physical dependence
What Is Drug Rehab?
Drug addiction treatment that is provided in a drug rehabilitation center is called rehab. It refers to the entirety of your treatment, encompassing detox and continuing through outpatient or inpatient treatment and aftercare. Not all rehab centers have their own detox program, so clients undergo detox elsewhere and then enroll in a rehab program. At PAATC, we provide professional detox as well as a wide range of treatments post-withdrawal.
Outpatient and inpatient programs help clients with the following:
- An individualized treatment plan based on your personal medical, mental health, and addiction history
- Sober life skills training for navigating life post-rehab
- The unconditional support of peers with lived experience
- Mutual accountability as you and others who are in treatment with you walk the path together
- Evidence-based therapy provided by professional counselors such as individual, group, or family therapy
Detox vs. Rehab
Detox and rehab are not so much in opposition to one another, as the term vs. would imply, so much as they are different but complementary. Rather than thinking about rehab vs. detox, think about detox and rehab as partners in your recovery. Detox is largely a medical process that eases your withdrawal from the substances to which you are addicted. It is a single step in a rehab program. Rehab is the overarching system that allows you, under the care of professionals, to leave the stern grip of addiction to live a healthy, sober life. In rehab, you will learn to accept that your addiction is not curable, but you’ll be empowered by learning how to live with it without letting it control you.
Begin Recovery at Pennsylvania Adult and Teen Challenge
At PAATC, we provide the full gamut of healing programs and services that someone with a substance use disorder needs. Don’t wait to reach out and learn more about detox vs. rehab and how to get started. Our staff is here to answer your questions and provide you with whatever support you need. Call 844.442.8673 or use our online form to connect with us.