Addiction to marijuana is classified as a cannabis use disorder (CUD) and affects about 10% of regular users. For those people, marijuana addiction treatment can help them break out of the cycle of abuse so they can live a sober life. One of the reasons many people seek marijuana addiction help is because the fallout of cannabis use has caused enough disruption in their lives that they cannot ignore it any longer. One of the primary impacts cannabis abuse has is on relationships. Clearly, marijuana and relationships are difficult combination.
We recognize that insurance often doesn’t cover marijuana addiction treatment unless it occurs alongside an addiction to other substances. However, we work with every client to make sure that their treatment is affordable. We also can treat polysubstance use. If you have concerns about your dependence on marijuana or that of someone you care about, reach out to Pennsylvania Adult & Teen Challenge (PAATC) today. We have 60+ years of experience helping adults and teenagers recover from chronic cannabis abuse and other drug use disorders. We are a phone call away at 844.442.8673, or you can fill out our online form.
Marijuana and Relationships: A Challenging Mix
Addiction is a family disease because its ripples reach far beyond the abuser. Regular cannabis use is predictive of failed relationships. A few of the more common reasons that cannabis addiction can challenge a relationship are:
- Marijuana can make you feel disconnected from people and from your own ability to understand what or how they are feeling.
- Pot can create deficits in empathy, acceptance, and warmth, which results in interpersonal dysfunction.
- Heavy cannabis use can cause lethargy and harm productivity. Therefore, many relationships are challenged by these changes, especially when two people live together.
- For some, a cannabis high can have a paranoia side effect. Paranoia is almost always a negative when it comes to interpersonal relationships as it can lead to suspicion and resentment.
Marijuana and relationships aren’t a perfect marriage. Do you feel that your relationships with your significant other and others in your life are not what they once were or what you’d like them to be? If so, consider whether it is your cannabis dependence that is the main contributing factor. If so, think about seeking addiction treatment and the counseling that goes with it.
Treatment Options for Marijuana
Cannabis use disorder, also known as marijuana addiction, can be effectively addressed through various therapies that target relapse triggers and promote sustained recovery. One such therapy is cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT). This therapy helps individuals recognize and shift maladaptive belief patterns while equipping them with problem-solving skills. These evidence-based behavioral therapies have shown remarkable efficacy in assisting individuals who have been using marijuana for prolonged periods and struggle to imagine a life without it.
In addition to therapy, access to peer support plays a critical role in marijuana addiction recovery. Numerous studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of peer support in addiction treatment. For instance, participating in a 12-step program during rehabilitation establishes a positive routine for a sober life. The benefits of peer group support are not time-limited. In fact, individuals can carry this healthy habit with them throughout their lifetime, providing ongoing support and encouragement.
By combining comprehensive therapy approaches and the power of peer support, individuals seeking marijuana addiction help can reframe their thinking, embrace a sober future, and acquire the necessary tools to maintain long-term health and well-being.
Learn More at Pennsylvania Adult and Teen Challenge
Our cannabis use disorder treatment is evidence-based and provided in a coordinated plan involving a range of approaches that might include:
- Individual therapy – A one-on-one approach where you can explore your thoughts, feelings, and experiences in a safe and confidential environment, guided by a trained therapist.
- Group therapy – Joining a supportive group of individuals who are facing similar challenges, providing a space for sharing experiences, gaining insights, and building connections with others on a similar journey.
- Family therapy – Involving the entire family unit to address and improve communication, resolve conflicts, and strengthen relationships, fostering a supportive and harmonious family dynamic.
- 12-step programs – Following a structured program that offers guidance, support, and a sense of community for individuals seeking recovery from addiction or other behavioral issues.
- Music therapy – Harnessing the power of music to promote emotional expression, reduce stress, enhance self-awareness, and facilitate personal growth and healing.
- Faith-based therapy – Integrating spiritual beliefs and practices into therapy, allowing individuals to explore the connection between their faith, values, and mental well-being, providing a holistic approach to healing.
Are you looking for treatment options for marijuana addiction? If so, we offer cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) as well as dialectical behavior therapy (DBT). Most of these treatments are available whether you are in outpatient or residential treatment.
Get the Help You Need Today
Our highly trained and experienced staff is ready to help you. As you may have found out, marijuana and relationships often don’t mix. Fortunately, you will be in good hands at PAATC in our Rehrersberg, PA, marijuana treatment center. Reach out today to learn more. Call 844.442.8673, or you can complete our online form.