At the Pennsylvania Adult & Teen Challenge, we offer substance abuse treatment for men and women age 18 and older. Our programs include a faith-based long-term residential addiction program as well as other options for care. We use a variety of evidence-based treatment programs to help our clients break the cycle of addiction, including Dialectical Behavior Therapy.
Dialectical behavior therapy or DBT falls under a category of treatment called Cognitive Behavioral Treatment. DBT first proved promising with people who attempted suicide or had suicidal thoughts. These patients also had borderline personality disorders.
Dr. Marsha Linehan offered CBT to her clients with suicidal ideations during the 1970s. During her research, Lineham discovered many of her clients had borderline personality disorders. She expanded CBT to alternate her client sessions, alternately focusing on acceptance and change.
As a result, she discovered that both she and her clients could avoid negative thoughts and feelings. This helped Lineham keep the sessions moving forward. Eventually, DBT techniques were adapted to substance abuse treatment and other mental disorders.
Core DBT Principles
Our Dialectical Behavior Therapy in Pennsylvania includes four components as detailed below:
- Skills Training: Skills training enhances your success in changing negative behavior. Led by a therapist, you learn valuable life skills. Part of the therapy includes take away assignments to reinforce new skills. The group setting allows you to trade notes and experiences with your peers.
- Individual Therapy: In individual therapy, you focus on applying skills that you have picked up. Your therapy helps you apply what you know to actual events while avoiding relapse to drug use. One-on-one sessions occur at least weekly.
- Phone Coaching: Phone coaching offers you live coaching for difficult situations, such as the threat of a relapse. More specifically, it gives you access to therapy outside the normal session environment.
- Therapist Consultations: Therapist consultation for Dialectical Behavior Therapy involves consultation among therapists to keep them motivated and focused on client recovery. This support enables our team to give you the best treatment, with the input of several therapists in the field.
DBT and Substance Abuse Treatment
At the Pennsylvania Adult & Teen Challenge, we provide support from medical detox through addiction therapy with specialized programs, including DBT.
Dialectical Behavior Therapy in Pennsylvania helps you with the following goals:
- Reducing withdrawal symptoms
- Establishing healthy friendships
- Avoiding situations that trigger abuse
- Breaking dependencies on drugs and alcohol
- Engaging in activities that support a drug-free lifestyle
Effectiveness in Treating Addiction
DBT assists you in finding healthy ways to deal with anger, depression, and suicidal thoughts. These underlying causes often trigger substance abuse. Thus with DBT, you have a better chance of finishing your program and getting back to a healthy lifestyle. For example, our 30-day clinical addiction program and other substance abuse programs teach clients the following skills:
- Interpersonal effectiveness
- Distress tolerance
- Emotional regulation
Our qualified counselors invest in your recovery and help you build your confidence in long-term abstinence.
Dialectical Behavior Therapy in Pennsylvania
At the Pennsylvania Adult & Teen Challenge, we use DBT and other therapies like cognitive-behavioral therapy to help you raise your self-awareness and overcome addiction for good. We offer treatment programs to help individuals overcome substance abuse. So no matter what substance you or a loved one is struggling with, we can help. For instance, we offer treatment for the following:
As clients enter treatment or detox, they can choose from intensive outpatient treatment or residential treatment to address their addiction issues. So contact us at 844.442.8673 or online to discuss how you can turn your back on drugs and alcohol and lead the life you were meant for.