Overcoming addiction requires eliminating not only the physical dependence on the addictive substance but also addressing behavioral and psychological issues that have developed along with the substance use disorder. Simply quitting cold turkey at home isn’t enough to do the latter. Changing the way you behave, feel, and think is much easier with professional help — and there’s no better time to look for this than during National Alcohol Awareness Month. If you or someone you care about is struggling with alcohol consumption problems, you should consider getting admitted into an alcohol addiction treatment program. Contact Pennsylvania Adult and Teen Challenge today at 844.442.8673 to learn more about the treatment options available.
When Is National Alcohol Awareness Month?
Each year in April, the U.S. observes National Alcohol Awareness Month. It was established in 1987 by the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD).
This yearly observance provides Americans with an opportunity to increase awareness of alcohol addiction causes. It can also provide insight into the subtle and obvious signs of excessive alcohol consumption, particularly in teenagers. Many people in alcohol addiction recovery also share their experiences and offer support to others during this time.
There are three major parts of National Alcohol Awareness Month
NCADD’s annual month-long campaign also promotes the idea of going on an Alcohol-Free Weekend during the 30-day period. People are encouraged to stop drinking alcohol from Friday to Sunday on any weekend in April and then evaluate how they felt during the 72 hours. If they find it difficult to stop drinking alcohol or experience withdrawal symptoms, it could signify that they need professional help to overcome an excessive alcohol consumption problem.
National Alcohol Screening Day
The Alcohol-Free Weekend isn’t the only observance that’s connected to the annual National Alcohol Awareness Month. Another alcohol awareness fact you should know is that people around the country observe National Alcohol Screening Day (NASD) in April.
Established in 1999, NASD is an initiative of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Each year on the Thursday of the first full week in April. This initiative and its related events offer anonymous and confidential opportunities for alcohol screenings online or in person. This option is a major boon for those with alcohol consumption problems to seek help. Along with the concept of the Alcohol-Free Weekend, NASD is part of the efforts of National Alcohol Awareness Month.
Breaking the Stigma Is Part of Alcohol Awareness
Stigma involves negative attitudes or discrimination against someone based on their behaviors, characteristics, or other things that make them different from usual. Ultimately, the stigma surrounding addiction can lead to guilt and shame, causing people, especially teens, to hide their substance use disorders prevent them from getting the professional treatment they need.
National Alcohol Awareness Month also aims to de-stigmatize alcohol addiction and make it easier for people to admit they’re addicted to alcohol and need professional help.
When Should Someone Consider Getting Admitted Into an Alcohol Addiction Treatment Program?
When it comes to addiction, it’s difficult to be objective when it’s become a problem. However, you or someone you care about may be experiencing some negative effects of excessive alcohol consumption. If so, it’s time to take a closer look at how addictive substances affect your life.
Even if your alcohol use disorder is mild, it’s still a problem. Many decide to forego professional treatment because they think they haven’t hit rock bottom yet. Did you know that only about 10% of those struggling with alcohol-related addiction problems receive treatment? Don’t let your case be part of the other 90%. Once alcohol addiction is recognized and accepted, the path to recovery opens up. The next step is to look for an alcohol addiction treatment program that’s right for your needs.
Remember that addiction is diagnosed on a spectrum, and every addiction is classified as mild, moderate, or severe. There is a total of eleven criteria that professionals look at when making a diagnosis:
- Dangerous use
- Desire to quit but unable
- Lack of control or responsibility
- Loss of interest
- Problems with relationships
- Spending an inordinate amount of time trying to get the substance
The severity of your addiction is determined by how many criteria a case meets. For example, if two to three of the criteria apply, they would point to a mild substance use disorder. However, even if you have a mild diagnosis, you should still seek professional help.
Learn About Pennsylvania Adult and Teen Challenge Today
Are you searching for alcohol addiction treatment programs in Pennsylvania? If so, contact Pennsylvania Adult and Teen Challenge today by calling 844.442.8673 or reaching out to our team online.