Substance abuse treatment has a checkered history. Just a few hundred years ago, the reigning opinion about those caught in an addiction cycle was rooted in judgment, as people believed that someone had a problem with their morals. There were some early glimmers of a more modern understanding of addiction. In 1784, Benjamin Rush put forth the idea that alcoholism is a disease that can be treated. However, it wasn’t until the mid-20th century that experts adopted this theory. At this time, people with substance abuse disorders began to have access to humane, compassionate care. Research has increased dramatically over the last 25 years, and rehab counseling programs incorporated contemporary treatments such as cognitive-behavioral therapy for addiction.
Our Pennsylvania organization has been providing professional, evidence-based addiction counseling services for decades. Pennsylvania Adult & Teen Challenge (PAATC) offers exceptional care for those who suffer from the disease of addiction. Call PAATC today at 844.442.8673 or fill out our online form for Pennsylvania substance abuse counseling information.
What to Look for in Substance Abuse Counseling
At rehab centers such as PAATC, there is often a range of offerings and counseling programs with something to suit everyone.
Before enrolling, you will want to ask a variety of questions, including:
- Is inpatient or outpatient best for me? Both options are great depending on your particular needs, addiction history, home environment and support network, and more. The professionals who assess your case will determine your eligibility for inpatient or outpatient. Our experts can then make suggestions based on the information they gather about you.
- Why is medical detox necessary? Medically supervised detox is the safest way to withdraw from alcohol or any drug. It mitigates pain and anxiety, significantly reduces the risk of early relapse, increases long-term rehab success, and manages any unforeseen mental or physical health issues.
- Is there an intensive outpatient program (IOP) option? If you need to live at home but qualify for a higher level of care at your rehab counseling program, this is a great option. It may also be helpful as a step-down stage between residential treatment and low-intensity outpatient.
- What peer support is available? If possible, you want to be sure that group opportunities such as therapy and 12 step programming are available. Peer support can enhance positive recovery outcomes.
In addition, you may want to ask about evidence-based treatment options. The rehab counseling offered by the addiction treatment program you choose should be evidence-based, meaning they are rooted in science and research.
Evidence-Based Addiction Counseling at PAATC
At PAATC, we offer a range of evidence-based addiction counseling services. Below are some of the therapies that have been successful in substance abuse counseling programs. These treatments lead to improved long-term sobriety outcomes, personal wellbeing and satisfaction, and high functioning across all aspects of daily life. Our services include:
- Group therapy, directed by a professional therapist, has proven results according to many studies. Group therapy is focused, agenda-driven, collaborative, and offers accountability and support.
- Individual therapy occurs one-on-one with a counselor who specializes in addiction treatment. This therapy may include other evidence-based protocols, which we’ve listed below.
- Trauma-informed therapy helps clients process prior trauma and symptoms of PTSD.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy explicitly addresses emotional regulation and redirects unhealthy thinking habits, self-blame, hopelessness, and vulnerability to triggers.
- Dialectical behavior therapy is another form of behavioral therapy. It focuses on changing patterns of thought and action to live substance-free.
In addition, we offer our clients faith-based programs, which incorporate religious principles such as faith in God, compassion for self and others, and the relinquishing of control to a higher power.
Get Treatment at Pennsylvania Adult and Teen Challenge
To learn more about what opportunities for healing you have access to in Pennsylvania, reach out to PAATC today. We want you to understand and trust that substance abuse counseling is a huge part of the recovery landscape and that high-quality care is available to you at PAATC. Call us by dialing 844.442.8673 or filling out our easy online form.